Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > SNAKES > Boas

Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 AM
RTB Aficionado

Unhappy RIP Ilan - the Squeamish might want to avoid this thread

In the beginning of November of 2007, I picked up Ilan. He was a beautiful Amazon Basin Emerald Tree Boa who was the friendliest snake ever.

Here is a picture of us the day I got him:

He was a pretty awesome snake:

Then about 1.5 years ago, we had a tornado come through our backyard, we lost power for days, and the temps dropped. He almost died. He was off feed when this happened and wouldn't go back on feed. He caught an RI and was so skinny, I didn't think he was going to make it.

Then he finally ate months later and was doing great. Not only was he eating, he was gaining weight and starting to look really awesome.
Last Summer:

It pains me to say, he had an unfortunate accident and I was forced to put him down today. Many hours of crying today and this day has been really hard. Here is the story:

At 1:30pm today, I walked into the snake room and smelled something awful. Immediately I thought one of my Suriname babies had regurged since they just ate 2 days ago. I check them and nope, no regurges. Then I decide, I have to pull every snake out and do a thorough search for the smell. It was making me gag. On my way out to get the garbage can, I noticed blood running down the tree that is in Ilan's cage. I got a flashlight, opened his cage and immediately the stench of death filled my nostrils. I found the source of the bleeding and it looked like it was coming from Ilan's cloaca. I left the room trying not to regurge myself. It took me about 20 minutes to get myself to stop salivating from the smell. Ilan was alert when I was moving the tree. So I called a the vet, a few friends, showered and went to get him out. When I went to get him out, he was stiff and didn't move. He didn't respond. Nothing. I sprayed so much water on him, he was drenched and didn't move. I break down because he was dead. I called my friends again and Minguss came out to help me get the tree out and him off the tree so I could bury him. When Minguss reached in and touched him, he moved. He was alive. Well, we had to cut the tree because it looked like his cloaca and tail were ripped and the tree branch was in it. It was nasty. Maggots had already formed in the wound. I felt so bad and felt like such a bad keeper even though I know that maggots can form in under 8 hours.

I got him to the vet and the wound was too necrotic to truly save him. He was alert and moving around. The vet said we could try to save him by amputating his tail and hoping to remove the necrotic tissue going the other way but wasn't hopeful he would survive. The minimal price to attempt to save him was almost $700 and upward. The vet said he didn't even think he could give me a 50% chance of him surviving. I had to make a really tough decision today. I am not even sure if he would of been able to adjust at 13 years old to not having a tail because ETB's do everything with their tail. I am very sad.

Here are a couple of pictures of the damage - don't look if you are squeamish.

This has been a really bad day and my poofy eyes need a break.

RIP Ilan

I wish I could have saved him. Sad thing was, 2 days ago he was moving around and looking like he was hunting.

Star

Last edited by weird_science04; 11-22-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Regular RTB User

Send a message via Skype™ to Flaumig Shamane
Re: RIP Ilan - the Squeamish might want to avoid this thread

My thoughts are with you. I know how hard it can be when you lose a close friend.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:10 AM
I Really Need a Life !

that was a tragic accident...... sorry. RIP beautiful green snake.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:29 AM
RTB Aficionado

sorry for your loss!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 AM
I am an RTB Addict !

Sorry!You did the right thing!Sometimes will have to do what have to.Wonder how it happened?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:12 AM
Regular RTB User

Sorry Star, he was a beauty.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:52 AM
RTB Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
Sorry!You did the right thing!Sometimes will have to do what have to.Wonder how it happened?
Skip, I have no idea. I wish I would have known he was caught. 2.5 weeks ago he was at the bottom of the cage eating. 2 nights ago, he was moving to the bottom of the cage while hunting. The worst thing is, I almost took a picture of him 2 nights ago because he was looking nice and thick. He pulled through the near death experience so well, this is just so disheartening. I honestly felt that he did it 2 nights ago but the vet is thinking maybe he caught himself on the way back up 2.5 weeks ago and since he is over 5 foot long, he could easily perch on his little branch without anyone even seeing he was caught on his cloaca. I just don't know. I have been wracking my brain for hours and hours and hours. I just feel so bad and feel I should have paid more attention even though I check on all the snakes every single day. I am very neurotic like that. I love them very much. They are part of my life and not something easily replaced. The tree is bendable and I see him bending the tree branches all the time. I just don't know how this happened. The only thing I can think of is he somehow got his cloaca caught around a branch and couldn't get it off. This resulted in him somehow stopping the bloodflow to the area and allowing it to decompose. 2 nights ago, he was pretty green looking. Today, very sickly green looking. He went down so fast.

I am still super upset about this.

Star
Old 11-22-2012, 05:00 AM
I am an RTB Addict !

Wow Star, I'm really sorry to hear of your loss.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 AM
I am an RTB Addict !

Wow,So you think it got caught.By the pictures i thought the branch had went in to his tail splinter of a broken branch.But im looking at pictures and guessing.How could his tail get stuck?Climbing is there game!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:12 AM
RTB Aficionado

I have no clue Skip! We cut the tree branches on both sides. There wasn't anything broken on the branch or protruding. I am just so clueless. The vet thinks he somehow crushed himself. I just don't know how. When I found the tail, there was space between the 2 branches and himself. I just don't know.

Star
Old 11-22-2012, 06:09 AM
I am an RTB Addict !

Send a message via AIM to kenyabloodstone Send a message via Yahoo to kenyabloodstone

I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Ilan you were beautiful!
0.0.7 Firebelly Toads (Greenie, Brownie, Dark Greenie, Insy, Spot, Goliath, and Barkly)
0.0.2 Pig Frogs (Mondo and Squeak)
0.1 Whites Tree Frog (Abby)
LOTS of rats, 3.1 dogs, 3.1 cats, 1.0 mouse
RIP Ricochet
Old 11-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Resident Fruit Loop

Send a message via Yahoo to Stargazer

Aw, this is so sad. I'm really sorry, Star. You are not psychic. You could not have known anything like that would happen. It could happen to anyone. It's just a freak accident. My heart really goes out to you. I can imagine how devastated you must feel. He was so beautiful. Here's one last Wakey wakey to the beautiful snakey - R.I.P.

My boa could eat your honor student.
R.I.P The English language and the correct spelling of "definitely"
Old 11-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Regular RTB User

You sure he got stuck, I have seen prolapses go necrotic and if it had and pulled back in I could very easily see it getting worse without you noticing it. Unless the tree had broken I have a hard time believing a arboreal snake thats easily as thick as the limb he was climbing go stuck.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:41 AM
Regular RTB User

Star! I am so sorry. I know this isn't comforting but I had mentioned to my fiance that you had an Emerald because she knows how much I love them but am not prepared to provide the best husbandry for them until we move. I was really looking forward to seeing him.

I know it's hard to lose any pet. For me, moreso than some relatives. I just lost my multi-national show & working titled- sired German Shepard. My buddy Donner was just coming out of his irritating puppy stage and proving to be a show winner like his father. I really loved him.
He was a runner, and 1 night a few months ago, he and Blitz went after a deer that came up in the backyard. Well Blitz came back about 5 minutes later. Donner didn't. I drove over 400 miles around all these country roads with my legs still split open. Put up a reward at every stop sign, store, etc.. I still have the phone call from the guy that found him in a ditch. . . He must have Really wanted that deer I hope he got a nip at least. He was over 4 miles away
Accidents and just - generally bad things happen too often, and it seems there are periods when it's 1 thing after the next. Try to Hold Fast and do your best to keep your focus on all the good you have in life. Try to find peace in the things you have accomplished and will accomplish. Consider how each and every one of your babies and your husband make life better. I know you have experienced loss, so I hope you don't take offense to my advice. I just am very familiar with loss and hurt. I suppose that each of us have to find our own armor, and honestly my "advice" is pretty far off from my approach.
I've become almost incapable of feeling pain or loss. Too much in the past few years perhaps. . .
Nevertheless, I hope you find your peace soon. My thoughts are with you.
Tim
Old 11-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Regular Rattlebrat

Wow, what a horrible way to lose a snake, but it seems like a really freakish accident to me...so sorry for your loss!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:44 AM
Regular RTB User

I am so sorry. I am thankful for this forum. I have told people of one of my snakes dying. One responded "so".Its not like it was a dog or cat.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Marked One

I am so sorry Star. He was beautiful. RIP Ilan. Remember Rainbow Bridge. He's happy, hunting and chasing the girls.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Snakes need love too!

Im so sorry.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Snakes need love too!

At least he had proper care and he recovered in your care.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:15 PM
RTB Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeseph View Post
You sure he got stuck, I have seen prolapses go necrotic and if it had and pulled back in I could very easily see it getting worse without you noticing it. Unless the tree had broken I have a hard time believing a arboreal snake thats easily as thick as the limb he was climbing go stuck.
Joeseph, when I saw all the blood and saw him in the tree, my immediate thought was he must of prolapsed and torn himself. Then it looked like he had torn his body. After cutting the tree, I forgot about the prolapse idea and thought that maybe a wire came out and tore him. After I got to the vet, there was no wire sticking out and the vet said he thought he was crushed. I just don't see how. Not saying it is impossible but I mean the snake has lived in this tree for 5 years and never got stuck or anything. However, rethinking about the prolapsed now, I wonder if it was possible that he prolapsed while wrapped around the branch and then as the tissue started to decay, the branch got sucked into the body making it difficult to get off. That would actually make more sense than him getting crushed between 2 branches with room between them.

Star