Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > Lizards > Uromastyx

Old 06-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

Uromastyx Pictures

Hey everyone!
I got my Uromastyx probably a little more than a month ago, and I couldn't be happier with him. Unfortunately, I got him from a local exotic pet store, and all they knew was that it's a Uromastyx and it eats greens. What I want to know, is what species it is specifically now to the scientific name. I can't tell if it's Nigerian, Niger, or what.
Here's some pictures:
http://i.imgur.com/oLE04.jpg

0.1.0 Bearded Dragon - (Daisy)
0.0.1 Uromastyx - (Sylvester)
1.0.0 Hedgehog - Jeffrey
Old 06-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

Re: Uromastyx Pictures

It looks like a Nigerian Yellow (Uromastyx geyri). They do eat greens. Go easy on things like cabbage, beet greens, bok choi and that sort of thing, as these are pretty high in a chemical that will bind other nutrients and cause problems. Spring Mix lettuces 50/50 with mustard greens is a really good staple for them. They will also eat the seed mix marketed for finches as an added item to their diet.

Speaking of these seeds, they make a good substrate over play sand. I put down a layer of play sand (only play sand, as it is natural and has rounded crystals, as opposed to other sands that are made from crushing rock and have rough, jagged crystals) and then a layer of seeds. This gives an edible top layer of substrate and the sand gives some firm footing by only allowing the Uro's feet to sink in so far. Just make sure the sand is completely dry, or the seeds will try to sprout and you will have a mess on your hands, as the heat of a proper setup will promptly kill the sprouts that emerge and roots and pre-emergent sprouts will begin to actually mold. Not to mention, these lizards need extremely low humidity.

If you don't want to spend a lot on the finch seeds, you can get the wild bird mix at Wal-Mart and sift the sunflower seeds (which are not suitable for your Uro) out of it.
BCI - 4.0 "Thor", "Samson", "Mercury" & "Ziggy"
Yellow Anaconda - 1.0 "Cooper"
Normal Retic - 1.0 "Mars"
Tiger Retic - 0.1 "Diana"
Albino Super Tiger Retic - 1.0 "Aleister"
Platinum Tiger Retic - 0.2 "Marilyn" & "Miss Molly"
Platinum Retic - 1.0 "Kennedy"
Jampea Retic - 0.1 "Clarice"
Black Rat Snake (WC) - 0.0.1 "Stryker"
Sinaloan Milksnake - 0.0.1 - "Jesus"
Striped Cal King 0.1 - "Cleopatra"
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Colombian B&W Tegu - "Max"
Nile Monitor 0.0.1 - "Leroy"
Green Iguana 0.1 - "Gracey Jane"
Pyxie Frog 0.0.1 - "Freddy"
Old 06-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondCreek View Post
It looks like a Nigerian Yellow (Uromastyx geyri). They do eat greens. Go easy on things like cabbage, beet greens, bok choi and that sort of thing, as these are pretty high in a chemical that will bind other nutrients and cause problems. Spring Mix lettuces 50/50 with mustard greens is a really good staple for them. They will also eat the seed mix marketed for finches as an added item to their diet.
Speaking of these seeds, they make a good substrate over play sand. I put down a layer of play sand (only play sand, as it is natural and has rounded crystals, as opposed to other sands that are made from crushing rock and have rough, jagged crystals) and then a layer of seeds. This gives an edible top layer of substrate and the sand gives some firm footing by only allowing the Uro's feet to sink in so far. Just make sure the sand is completely dry, or the seeds will try to sprout and you will have a mess on your hands, as the heat of a proper setup will promptly kill the sprouts that emerge and roots and pre-emergent sprouts will begin to actually mold. Not to mention, these lizards need extremely low humidity.
If you don't want to spend a lot on the finch seeds, you can get the wild bird mix at Wal-Mart and sift the sunflower seeds (which are not suitable for your Uro) out of it.
Thank you! I feed him kale and mustard greens a lot of the time, and I keep him on repticarpet instead of sand. I read that sand is a cesspool for bacteria, and it's incredibly easy for them to be impacted. I decided not to risk it. I'll pick up some finch mix for him later and I'll see how he likes that mixed in with kale and mustard greens.
1.0.0 Hedgehog - Jeffrey
Old 06-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
Thank you! I feed him kale and mustard greens a lot of the time, and I keep him on repticarpet instead of sand. I read that sand is a cesspool for bacteria, and it's incredibly easy for them to be impacted. I decided not to risk it. I'll pick up some finch mix for him later and I'll see how he likes that mixed in with kale and mustard greens.
Kale is very, very high in the chemical that I mentioned. I'd cut the Kale out all together. These are burrowing animals and he won't be terribly happy if he can't burrow.

Play sand, as I mentioned, has smooth, rounded grains because it is created naturally over aeons by the erosive action of wind and water. Other sand, like mason's sand, is made from crushed rock. The jagged grains of this sand will clump as the grains lock together and cause all manner of trouble. Play sand is not prone to this because of the nature of the grains.

As for the bacteria, I can imagine this could happen in a cage that was not kept clean and that was a moist environment. However, Uro's require a very hot, dry environment. Think about where they come from natively. It is hot, dry desert. I have had my Uro (a Mali) on a sand / seed mix substrate for two years now. He has a basking spot of 130 degrees and doesn't even have a water dish (they pull water from what they eat and their digestive process actually also produces water). It is bone dry in his habitat. The seed / sand also helps to immediately dry their feces and urine into little easy to pick out pellets.

You'll read a lot of information on the Internet. Some of it is good, some of it is neutral and some of it is terrible / dangerous. What I'm telling you is proven to work in my own personal experience with Uromastyx.
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Old 06-21-2012, 06:08 PM
I Really Need a Life !

that is a HANDSOME LIZARD !!!!!!!

i want.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I Really Need a Life !

He is absolutely magnificent!!!

But......not even a witty bitty water bowl????? OK.

I agree he should be on sand and not carpet since they like to burrow.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Heretic Prime

Beautiful lizard, congratulations.

Some advice and info:

These fabulous things are taken from nature, imported and sent to jobbers and dealers and finally to shops and swap meets. That may involve a period of months! All that time they are subjected to various degrees of care, mostly inadequate. In many cases the first detailed attention they receive is when a caring and interested someone like you buys one!

In my experience these fascinating creatures are often in dire need of at least these things by the time they end up with their new owners, in this approximate order:

Proper temperature gradients; in my experience day/night 78/90 with a daytime bright hot-spot of 105 degrees (F) or more.

Sunlight or light from top-quality UVA-UVB lamps..

Hydration! They are often dehydrated. If they do not get the water they need in to their system they may not make it. Some will take water from a dropper or lick it from their environment (mist).. Mostly, they get it from their food..

Fresh crisp GREENS! In addition to what has been recommended one of the things that can be bought at the store that is especially helpful is turnip tops. Don't be afraid of also giving things like red and green leaf lettuce, these do not constitute a complete diet but are very good of starting desert lizards and hydrating them.

I'd also want to observe that your pretty lizard, from the images you supplied, shows some of the signs I take to mean a stressed animal in need of good care. If you succeed long-term (six weeks and six months are the initial benchmarks) with that unique creature you will be among the minority of people who do so.

Best of luck.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyJamaica View Post
But......not even a witty bitty water bowl????? OK.
Mine hasn't had one in nearly the two years that I've had him. It just seems to bump the humidity up, get sloshed out and cause issues. Standing water, even in small amounts, is just not a regular feature of their native habitat and they seem to simply ignore it. I have read that some folks keep a hide with moistened sand (that they routinely change out) it as a humid hide, but I don't even do that and he is thriving and shedding well.
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 PM
I Really Need a Life !

Gus - would the signs of stress be the loose skin.

they should be round and filled out ???
Old 06-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

As RioBravo mentioned, they like a hot basking area. You can determine the preferred basking spot temp of your particular Uro by varying the temps up and down until you find a time where they bask about half the time they are awake and will occasionally pant (open mouthed, panting type breathing), but remain on the basking surface.

Also, don't be alarmed if you see a crusty, gritty, white substance around the nostrils. These animals don't sweat, so they expel excess salts by "snalting" or snorting the salt out of their nostrils.
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Old 06-21-2012, 06:31 PM
I Really Need a Life !

And is their proper diet natural green plants that grow in their African habitat? Would some of these be available where he is now? Do they eat cactus? Is their diet similar to a Green Iguana's? Could raw gratered pumpkin be a good thing to give them too (pumpkin squash?) And collard and mustard greens?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmom View Post
Gus - would the signs of stress be the loose skin.
they should be round and filled out ???

I don't want to horn in on Gus, but the loose skin is normal. They will fill out from eating and from storing fat (though much of their fat stores are in the base of the tail, which should be plump), but will also occasionally have some loose wrinkles of skin. If they look gaunt and wrinkly, that is a bad sign.
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM
I Really Need a Life !

Quote:
As RioBravo mentioned, they like a hot basking area. You can determine the preferred basking spot temp of your particular Uro by varying the temps up and down until you find a time where they bask about half the time they are awake and will occasionally pant (open mouthed, panting type breathing), but remain on the basking surface.

Also, don't be alarmed if you see a crusty, gritty, white substance around the nostrils. These animals don't sweat, so they expel excess salts by "snalting" or snorting the salt out of their nostrils.
Just like my iguanas! Good information!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

Quote:
And is their proper diet natural green plants that grow in their African habitat? Would some of these be available where he is now? Do they eat cactus? Is their diet similar to a Green Iguana's? Could raw gratered pumpkin be a good thing to give them too (pumpkin squash?) And collard and mustard greens?
Yes, some orange vegetables in their diet occasionally is not a bad thing. Collards and mustard are great to feed. My iguana likes cactus pads, but the Uro doesn't seem to care for them, but this is not to say that no Uro would eat cactus.
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Old 06-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

I got him on May 14th, 2012.
Here's how I take care of him:

- 40 gallon breeder
- Repticarpet
- 1 hide place under the heat lamp
- 1 basking bulb that I turn off for 8 hours at a time
- He can get up to 6 inches close to the basking spot
- I take him out 4 times or more a week to bask in the sun for half an hour or more
- Fresh greens every other day
- No water bowl

I'm going to be getting a heat emitter next time I go to a pet store, and I'll be doing that finch/play sand mix as soon as possible.

Am I doing anything wrong otherwise?
1.0.0 Hedgehog - Jeffrey
Old 06-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

I feed every day, but waste a lot of greens. I like for mine to have the food available and don't mind the extra expense since I will have lots of greens on hand anyway to support the iguana, but given his feeding habits I could easily go every other day. I use a 14/10 schedule for lighting, but this isn't to say that your 16/8 schedule is wrong.

The only element of your care list that I particularly disagree with is the repti-carpet. These lizards are burrowers by their very nature. Mine digs quite a bit, especially inside his cave. He rearranges the sand to suit his immediate preference. He also digs around the rocks have in his habitat. By the way, some rocks for them to climb over and move around on, in addition to their digging behavior, will help keep their claws naturally trimmed.
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Old 06-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Regular RTB User

Havnt seen one of those lil creatures?!!?
great looking guy tho, hope he does well good luck with him.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Heretic Prime

Quote:
Look here!

This kind of input, both informative and probing, is why I try to not miss even one of TJ's posts.

Cheers.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

Quote:
I feed every day, but waste a lot of greens. I like for mine to have the food available and don't mind the extra expense since I will have lots of greens on hand anyway to support the iguana, but given his feeding habits I could easily go every other day. I use a 14/10 schedule for lighting, but this isn't to say that your 16/8 schedule is wrong.

The only element of your care list that I particularly disagree with is the repti-carpet. These lizards are burrowers by their very nature. Mine digs quite a bit, especially inside his cave. He rearranges the sand to suit his immediate preference. He also digs around the rocks have in his habitat. By the way, some rocks for them to climb over and move around on, in addition to their digging behavior, will help keep their claws naturally trimmed.
I give him a good sized plate of greens, and it would take him a couple days to eat the whole thing.

Later today, I will get a bag of play sand and finch mix so he can be happier.

Thanks for all the advice!
1.0.0 Hedgehog - Jeffrey
Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascoezach View Post
Havnt seen one of those lil creatures?!!?
great looking guy tho, hope he does well good luck with him.
They are fascinating. Unlike many reptile pets, they are active during the day, which is a real plus. They are curious and inquisitive and off the scale for the "cute" factor. My wife is not a reptile person, per se, but even she is fascinated with the Uro and actually does most of his daily care.
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"