Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > General > Check In / Check Out

Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 AM
Just a Figment...

Re: Hi all!

I would personally still get some hides... It doesn't have to be fancy. Just secure and secluded. What is a "properly sized mouse"? Any more specific sizing?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 AM
Regular RTB User

Thank you Dayswalters. . You have been a rather large part of encouraging me to take in the new advice. I really appreciate it and would thank you for your post if I only knew how/could
Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 AM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shann View Post
I would personally still get some hides... It doesn't have to be fancy. Just secure and secluded. What is a "properly sized mouse"? Any more specific sizing?
I defined what I'd read to be properly sized, and I recall it being an adult mouse when he was fed, not a hopper. Unfortunately that's the best I can do until Wednesday when I ask exactly and can post a picture.
I was actually advised against a hide, not told not to get one, but not told do, because I was told that, in their experience, the snake was a little more skittish if it chose to constantly hide away in an actual hide as opposed to not having a hide, not to mention I haven't heard any negative things come from a lack of a hide, so if anyone has opinions on having a hide as opposed to not having a hide, I'd love to hear your own experiences with snakes using/not using or having hides. Like I said before, I am open to other people's experiences.

Last edited by -SpitFire-; 05-01-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 AM
I am an RTB Addict !

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SpitFire- View Post
Thank you Dayswalters. . You have been a rather large part of encouraging me to take in the new advice. I really appreciate it and would thank you for your post if I only knew how/could
No worries Spitfire I'm glad you're hanging in there. As for the thanks, you will have the ability soon. It will show up on the bottom right once you have placed enough posts. I'm glad I could be helpful

Last edited by Dayswalters; 05-01-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 AM
I am an RTB Addict !

I just recently got a beautiful new enclosure, so my girl now has 4 hides, each separated to different areas of her tank. She doesn't always use them sometimes she burrows in her bedding (I recently switched to Aspen for extra humidity) and sometimes she's on her branches or in the leaves but she seems to like the option.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 AM
Regular RTB User

I don't suppose you have any pictures that you could post? That really does sound like a beautiful enclosure. So far if he's staying up in the branches I wonder if he would even like a hide. Maybe I'll put something into the tank just to see if he would use a hide and go from there.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:17 AM
I am an RTB Addict !

I can take a pic tomorrow...and I goofed on my previous post, I switched from Aspen to Cypress I live in a desert area so I was having a hard time with humidity, but now it's good.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Regular RTB User

Alrighty then
Old 05-01-2012, 06:57 AM
Regular RTB User

I have hides in all my enclosures... Do my snakes use them? I don't really know since I don't keep a camera on them all night. Have I caught them coming out of their hides? Sure, but I don't know if they were just checking it out, or had spent all night in there.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is, A hide is ALWAYS a good idea. You may not see them use it, But just like humans, Sometimes you just need to get away from all the stress and activity around you.
Hides help reduce stress... If a snake stays in its hide 100% of the time, There is more than likely an issue with temps/humidity/lighting. So I wouldn't worry about that, As it seems you have your husbandry going well so far.
0.0.1 Corn Snake
0.2 Pit Bulls
3.0 Siberian Dwarf Hamsters
1.1 Bearded Dragon
1.1 Stupid Cat :P
Old 05-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Regular RTB User

For the most part it is. . ^^; I am a little bit at a loss however. I keep the under the tank heater running all the time and have this heater http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/En...I7czoxOiIwIjt9 and a heat lamp for when I need it, it has a 75 watt basking spot bulb. I only have the lamp running when I can watch it, since if I can't watch it the temperature skyrockets. In under 4 hours using both the temperature was up to 90, so I clicked the lamp off. A bit under an hour later the tank was back at about 80. (I had him out during this time so that I could watch the temperature without him being victim to too much change too quickly).
So really I guess what I'm asking is, is it okay for the temperature to stay at 80? I don't want him being harmed in any way, so I can't risk the light staying on. It gets hot here too, so I know the tank heats up during the day, but I just want to be sure that this is an okay think to do? Have the under the tank heater always running, and the basking heat lamp on once in a while? The first time I had it on I turned it off because he was in the corner in the cool side, and he generally sleeps/is up in the branches away from the heating pad. Any suggestions or experience with this type of thing that can be passed on?

Right now it's at 82. The thermometer is in the middle of the tank completely, so could it be warmer, too? Honestly I'm hoping to just hear that I'm being fussy and he's doing just fine as is.

Last edited by -SpitFire-; 05-01-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 AM
i never start trouble

Quote:
I haven't fed him myself yet, but I've seen him feed. His first meal with me will be on Wednesday. I'll ask and see if I can get individual frozen mice. I'll be sure to upload a picture of him feeding then, and look into changing his feeder if people think that he should be on a different feeder.

Oh and you'd be surprised at what she can find xD Especially since our freezer isn't too large and everyone is sure to rummage through it looking for something they want at least every other day. . The mouse she fed him looked a little bigger than his body around, which I've also read is how it's supposed to be. Again, I'd like to have you guys take a look at the pictures on Wednesday and you can better see the ratio and let me know what you think then
Why do you keep saying mice it needs to be fed rats
IS TO BE RESPONSIBLE KEEPERS
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Regular RTB User

Is your UTH (under tank heater) all the way to one side of the tank?
Is your thermometer digital? Does it give you a 24 hour high/low temp?

What I would suggest is have the UTH all the way to one side of the tank, And place your thermometer there for 24 hours, and then on the opposite end for 24 hours. Record your daytime/night time temps.
On this site, when people ask about temps, They are usually looking for 3 things, Cool side temp, Hot side temp, Basking spot temp.
If your using a little dial thermometer, I would suggest going to wal-mart and picking up a $13 digital thermometer/hydrometer, Its best to get the one with the probe wire.

82 degrees isn't bad, But remember that your snake has to be able to regulate his body temp by going to either a hot side or cool side. 82 degrees is what you would probably call your "ambient temp", Or average air temperature. Try and create a warm/cool side.
0.0.1 Corn Snake
0.2 Pit Bulls
1.1 Bearded Dragon
Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Honestly I'm hoping to just hear that I'm being fussy and he's doing just fine as is.
"Fine" is a term used to describe something that is not good, but not good... A "mediocre" if you will. We are looking for EXCELLENT!
That's why everyone is eager to help you do right by your snake. I promise, The best interest of the snake is our priority.
0.0.1 Corn Snake
0.2 Pit Bulls
1.1 Bearded Dragon
Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhonaker View Post
Why do you keep saying mice it needs to be fed rats
I'm saying mice because he's being fed mice. Because he's been fed mice. Because what he's being fed is the accepted size of a feeder for a snake, unless that size isn't the size of/slightly bigger than their largest part. Which for him, is the size of a mouse feeder or a rather small rat. I just measured his largest part and it's slightly under an inch in height, and it's still acceptable that he eat mice, unless you're looking for the mouse vs. rat as a superior feeder argument. Something I admit to not being quite ready to fight, since I can't make a good case for either and need to look into it more.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasGene View Post
Is your UTH (under tank heater) all the way to one side of the tank?
Is your thermometer digital? Does it give you a 24 hour high/low temp?

What I would suggest is have the UTH all the way to one side of the tank, And place your thermometer there for 24 hours, and then on the opposite end for 24 hours. Record your daytime/night time temps.
On this site, when people ask about temps, They are usually looking for 3 things, Cool side temp, Hot side temp, Basking spot temp.
If your using a little dial thermometer, I would suggest going to wal-mart and picking up a $13 digital thermometer/hydrometer, Its best to get the one with the probe wire.

82 degrees isn't bad, But remember that your snake has to be able to regulate his body temp by going to either a hot side or cool side. 82 degrees is what you would probably call your "ambient temp", Or average air temperature. Try and create a warm/cool side.
I'm using a dial thermometer currently, and since it's placed in the middle of the tank, I would say it's right in between the hot and cool side. The UTH is all the way on the right of the tank, left when looking at it and I'll be posting pictures tomorrow (hopefully). I'll measure each place as soon as I can, and get a digital one as soon as possible as well. Unfortunately I'm at the mercy of my drivers currently, and I just hope that I'll be able to pick one up soon. That'll save me from having to get a different humidity meter too.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
I'm saying mice because he's being fed mice. Because he's been fed mice. Because what he's being fed is the accepted size of a feeder for a snake, unless that size isn't the size of/slightly bigger than their largest part. Which for him, is the size of a mouse feeder or a rather small rat. I just measured his largest part and it's slightly under an inch in height, and it's still acceptable that he eat mice, unless you're looking for the mouse vs. rat as a superior feeder argument. Something I admit to not being quite ready to fight, since I can't make a good case for either and need to look into it more.
Mice are bony and not much meat to them, While rats offer more meat, hence more nutrition.
ANY snake that can eat a rat, should be on rats.
I understand that your snake is eating properly sized mice, But what we are trying to say is that your snake should be eating properly sized rats.
There is a rat size that is the EXACT same size as the mouse your feeding, but will provide much more nutrition.
We are not commenting on the size of the feeder, we are commented on the feeder itself.
0.0.1 Corn Snake
0.2 Pit Bulls
1.1 Bearded Dragon
Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM
i never start trouble

Just cous its the right size does not make it the right food. i have snakes that a football is the right size does not mean i should feed it to my snake. If you are feeding it a mouse every 10 days you are starving your snake. There is not enough nutrition in a mouse
Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 AM
i never start trouble

Quote:
Best of luck with your snake
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM
Regular RTB User

That's what I thought and just wanted to be sure it wasn't another poke at him being underfed, which is what it came across as to me.

I've heard that mice have benefits as well as the rats, and that no one really knows which is better? At least from what I've heard, each has benefits and things that aren't great. . I don't suppose anyone would be willing to tell about all the pros and cons of mice vs rats without opinion?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Just a Figment...

I had dial thermometers and humidity gauges when I started because I got bad information when I bought my boa. I can tell you right now that they suck. I left them in the cage because I can't see well sometimes and they are easier for me to read, but when I can see the digital ones they are usually several degrees off from them by up to five degrees in either direction. That's a huge difference to the snake.

But that means I have one thermometer on the hot side, one on the cold side, and one reading the hot spot (not counting the dial thermometers). If you just have one in the middle you can't tell if you are getting the right temps on either side of the cage. I also use a temperature gun. It seems like overkill, but that way if something is wrong with my boa I can immediately rule out basic husbandry issues. And thankfully, nothing has gone too wrong. But without digital thermometers in both sides of the cage, you're just guessing.

Tags
albino, red tail boa