Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > General > Just Talk

Old 11-08-2010, 05:56 PM
I Really Need a Life !

Angry How can we 'win' with this type of public!?

I thought maybe this would be a positive article from the title, and it ... wasn't something that made me overly angry...
But what gave me the heebijeebies were the comments, when asked, "should the snakes be saved or banned".. There were a few logical responses, but most blew me away with their absolute bile. How can we hope to keep our pets when the public has attitudes like this?
GO USARK!!!
Save the snakes, or ban them? | The Opinion Zone blog | The Palm Beach Post

ETA: There are some snake owners at the end thank goodness, so I don't completely lose my head.

Last edited by Elizabethlea27; 11-08-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I Really Need a Life !

Re: How can we 'win' with this type of public!?

Politics used in this way is a vile and sinister thing. I don't think Mr. Bill Nelson gives a hoot whether there are "dangerous invasive species" in the Everglades. He has found a wonderful platform to stand on and pontificate, because there is nothing that most people dislike and fear more than a snake, period, and he is doing what people like him do best - catering to a majority opinion and manipulating voters' gullibility and ignorance....old story, works every time. It is very, very sad and sickening and it's working.

All we can do is keep trying and fighting it every step of the way with all we have. More positive and damage control publicity is needed!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM
I Really Need a Life !

I am completely with you on the positive/damage control publicity! All the news seems to cover is the few incidents where an owner does the wrong thing, then we all get slammed (I am restating what we all here know..) by public perception and therefore the politicians pandering to it .

Hmmm..... I guess all I can say is kudos to Herphappy and Tom and RayRay for the good educational work they've done with their snakes. I'm sure there are are plenty more here that have done it I don't know about.. but thanks to all of you guys!!

And Tammy I can't imagine what it's like for you where you live . MEH.

Last edited by Elizabethlea27; 11-08-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I Really Need a Life !

In this neck of the woods, all snakes better stay real low and quiet. To 90 percent of the population, they are "Evil, Poisonous, Slimy Monsters" and must be chopped to death on sight.

Even those who are purportedly working to protect them, who are in positions of authority in the various emvironmental agencies with that portfolio, most of those people (excepting for a few) have no understanding or appreciation of them either - they are merely doing a job like many other jobs, performing a passionless and monotonous activity.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
I Really Need a Life !

That's really sad.

I am the crazy snake lady at the pet store now who comes in to check on their ONE ball python who had the shed problem.. it's never above 10% humidity but they went to the trouble of misting him in front of me for show. I hate it that they care more about getting a bothersome nagging crazy lady out of the way than about the animals they are supposed to be taking care of. And that is not off topic because the public needs to change it's perception of the necessity of caring for the animals we take responsibility of, so we don't end up with tragedies like that little girl dying in the first place!

That *might* in an imaginary fantasy world where it happened help public perception a little bit.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Regular RTB User

"The normally and non-testicularly challanged public shouldnt be ‘punished’
because “responsible”( laff laff) psychos dont want to be punished."

OOOOHHHH That made me rage. I swear. Ignorant moron.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:10 PM
I Really Need a Life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBehemoth View Post
"The normally and non-testicularly challanged public shouldnt be ‘punished’
because “responsible”( laff laff) psychos dont want to be punished."

OOOOHHHH That made me rage. I swear. Ignorant moron.

ME TOO!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Regular RTB User

I'd love to go into one of his hearings wearing like a baggy sweatshirt and have a 6 foot+ in my shirt to let out and handle during the debate. I wouldn't mind the possible ramifications if people would be open minded about it. But when someone like this guy gets on a rant and theres nothing to support the evidence against what he is saying, like say a tame snake thats properly cared for and loved, then he gets away with appalling acts of bureaucracy! Get someone Like Jack Hannah to come in to testify with Monty Python, the snake David Letterman had Just chilling on his desk after Jack carried it out on stage solo because it is such a well behaved animal! Sure there are snakes released in the wild. Banning them for sale will NOT fix the issue. Fix the people! Like say put GPS tracking chips in all large snakes that are sold in pet stores. When they are found in to be in a restricted area, find it and check the serial number on the chip to track the owner and fine them! Or Jail them! Wreckless Endangerment is a crime I believe. The State can provide the chips to the retailers and breeders for something as simple as a "tax" on the sale of large snakes. Much easier and better than a full on ban. I mean if they ban 1 snake whats to stop it on others, and then Zoos are going to be forced to remove their exhibits? Sorry Rant off La La La Going to go huggle my baby boa
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 PM
I Really Need a Life !

I must say I have never before been called a "testicularly challanged" (sic) "responsible psycho". Trying to imagine it....no, does not work.

Before a child here was bitten by an illegally imported monkey, and this whole thing got blown up to include pet snakes, I used to do quite a bit of work with mine, educating kids and showing the snakes at school etc. It was very well received and gratifying. Now I am scared to even take Julius for a walk in the park. I do anyway, but .... have to keep an eye out for the two-legged, warm blooded enemy, and not just the dogs and hawks.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Regular RTB User

It just irritates me to the fullest extent. I have 2 scars, one on my chest, one on my left arm by my elbow, from when I was younger, my Dog quite literally mauled me. Tore my chest open, and on my arm he locked on and whipped it from side to side. We still have that Dog however and he's the perfect Dog now. But guess what? I have no scars from snakes, nor have I ever been bitten by one. That's not to say it can't happen, but Dogs should be banned if Snakes are even going to be CONSIDERED for banning.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I Really Need a Life !

Quote:
It just irritates me to the fullest extent. I have 2 scars, one on my chest, one on my left arm by my elbow, from when I was younger, my Dog quite literally mauled me. Tore my chest open, and on my arm he locked on and whipped it from side to side. We still have that Dog however and he's the perfect Dog now. But guess what? I have no scars from snakes, nor have I ever been bitten by one. That's not to say it can't happen, but Dogs should be banned if Snakes are even going to be CONSIDERED for banning.
Logically, if snakes are banned for a) infestation of wilderness and eating native species, we "should" ban cats.. b) for the danger they pose to the public, we "should" ban dogs.

c) In a perfect world people would raise their children properly, look after the animals they own responsibly, and not overpopulate with needless breeding or a lack of spay/neutering. Never going to happen on any of those counts.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

Yeah, the whole testicularly challenged" thing just torqued my drawers. Clueless people with a keyboard and an attitude...and probably not enough testicles of his own to actually say that to someone's face.

As for the article, I'm sad for the little girl that had to suffer and die because her parents weren't responsible. The snake in the photo was way underfed and, apparently, not properly housed.
BCI - 4.0 "Thor", "Samson", "Mercury" & "Ziggy"
Yellow Anaconda - 1.0 "Cooper"
Normal Retic - 1.0 "Mars"
Tiger Retic - 0.1 "Diana"
Albino Super Tiger Retic - 1.0 "Aleister"
Platinum Tiger Retic - 0.2 "Marilyn" & "Miss Molly"
Platinum Retic - 1.0 "Kennedy"
Jampea Retic - 0.1 "Clarice"
Black Rat Snake (WC) - 0.0.1 "Stryker"
Sinaloan Milksnake - 0.0.1 - "Jesus"
Striped Cal King 0.1 - "Cleopatra"
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Colombian B&W Tegu - "Max"
Nile Monitor 0.0.1 - "Leroy"
Green Iguana 0.1 - "Gracey Jane"
Pyxie Frog 0.0.1 - "Freddy"
Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabethlea27 View Post
Logically, if snakes are banned for a) infestation of wilderness and eating native species, we "should" ban cats.. b) for the danger they pose to the public, we "should" ban dogs.

c) In a perfect world people would raise their children properly, look after the animals they own responsibly, and not overpopulate with needless breeding or a lack of spay/neutering. Never going to happen on any of those counts.
Feral cats do more damage to native wildlife than any single type of animal normally kept as a pet. I've seen them clear out baby rabbit nests, kill song birds and clear out native snakes that are competing for rodents.

As someone who has been bitten by a dog, yes, lets ban them because they are obviously dangerous.

And horses? They kill every year, including children. They bite and will step on you if given the chance. Let's ban them to.

Gerbils, hamsters, chinchillas...the all have to go.

/sarcasm
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I Really Need a Life !

On a non-sarcastic note feral cats were allowed to be shot in Australia because of the absolute HAVOC they were wreaking on the fragile ecosystems there. Oh and the bunnies were too. We were encouraged to eat chocolate easter bilbies instead of rabbits because rabbits were taking over native species' habitats.

/end rant.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabethlea27 View Post
On a non-sarcastic note feral cats were allowed to be shot in Australia because of the absolute HAVOC they were wreaking on the fragile ecosystems there. Oh and the bunnies were too. We were encouraged to eat chocolate easter bilbies instead of rabbits because rabbits were taking over native species' habitats.

/end rant.
I can understand an invasive non-native species, but the bunnies here are native to the area. And I'll admit, I like watching them frolic in my yard in the spring time. I have a low tolerance for cats killing them.
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Old 11-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

Quote:
Having been bitten by both, I have to admit, if I had to choose, I'd take the snake any day. I wasn't mauled, but a dog bite was bad enough.
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Resident Fruit Loop

Send a message via Yahoo to Stargazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TammyJamaica View Post
I must say I have never before been called a "testicularly challanged" (sic) "responsible psycho". Trying to imagine it....no, does not work.
If anyone wants to call me a "testicularly challEnged psycho", they better spell it right!

My boa could eat your honor student.
R.I.P The English language and the correct spelling of "definitely"
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I Really Need a Life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondCreek View Post
I can understand an invasive non-native species, but the bunnies here are native to the area. And I'll admit, I like watching them frolic in my yard in the spring time. I have a low tolerance for cats killing them.
Oh I agree bunnies are cute and I don't have a problem with them here! In Australia they were another non-native invasive species absolutely destroying populations of native species. Just used here as an example.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Retics-R-Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
If anyone wants to call me a "testicularly challEnged psycho", they better spell it right!
Get 'em!
Mali Uromastyx - "Dio"
Old 11-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I Really Need a Life !

And it is funny people would think we all fit into that 'needing to be more butch' category.. I swear I don't like the 'general' public (not comfortable in crowds... thank you childhood of bullying!!!) much less want it to notice me. Jeeez.