Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > Reptile Misc > Caging / Housing for reptiles / Husbandry Items

Old 12-20-2005, 05:53 AM
Regular RTB User

Enclosure for red tail boa....

I currently have my boa in a 10 gallon aquarium, which is ok for now (he's very small), but I'd like to get started on something that will hold him for awhile. I've gone through tons of links here and have some questions.
1. Why is it not recommended to have a small snake in a large enclosure?
2. Does anybody have plans/pics of a med-large size enclosure that is more suited for a "pet" (meaning I only have one and I don't intend to breed or get any other for a long time) snake. I'm looking for some thing that I can put in my main room of the house and be pleasing to the eye
3. I've noticed that most of the enclosures for these boas usually don't have any branches or anything for them to climb on, and I've seen it stated that it's not necessary. Mine seems to enjoy his branches and spends quite a bit of time curled up on them/in the (fake) foliage surrounding them.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head, and any info would be greatly appreciated. I've learned a lot reading these forums, and links off of them, and as far as I'm concerned, the more I can learn the better!
Thanks!
Oh - and this is kind of off topic for this particular forum, but while I'm posting...I've read/seen that there's different species(?) of 'red tail boas' - how do I find out what kind I have? When we bought him they told us he (not sexed yet, just refer to it as he for now) is a 'south american boa constrictor'....however he looks like what I've seen commonly referred to as a 'red tail boa'......again any info is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-20-2005, 06:18 AM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash_57
Oh - and this is kind of off topic for this particular forum, but while I'm posting...I've read/seen that there's different species(?) of 'red tail boas' - how do I find out what kind I have? When we bought him they told us he (not sexed yet, just refer to it as he for now) is a 'south american boa constrictor'....however he looks like what I've seen commonly referred to as a 'red tail boa'......again any info is appreciated! Thanks!
As far as this is concerned, basically u have true redtail boas(BCC's) and I guess u could say the more common redtail(BCI's). U have a BCI most likely. Boa Constrictor Imperator. BCI's have many morphs(different breeds like albino, striped, salmon, ghost, etc.). Usually Redtails are considered columbian, but can also be peruvian, venezuelan, guyana, etc. U have just what the person told you, a south american (probably columbian) redtail boa. Hope that helps.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Regular RTB User

Thank you, Travis!
Old 12-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Regular RTB User

To hit your other questions.
Young boas tend to enjoy climbing, as they get older that usually fades.
With the growth rate of boas most people tend to use rubbermaid or aquariums while the boas are growing up. Once they reach about 6ft they slow down, its at that point that most people get a permanent enclosure.
The small snake in a large enclosure is that most hatchlings have been kept in relatively small enclosures since birth. Putting them into a large enclosure can make them feel vulnerable. However a large enclosure with alot of hides, deocrations, and branches would be ideal for a young boa.
Heres a pic of one I modified to meet my needs

Depending on how handy you are you can do everything from a custom build to semi-custom to pre-made.
Here is a link to make your own it has racks, 3x2's and 4x2's http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/cages.shtml

Bryan
Old 12-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Regular RTB User

Bryan -

That can easily be made into just what I was looking for! Thanks! I think I'll probably move him into a long term (large) enclosure as soon as I get it built, and just have lots of hides and such, and rearrange/add/remove things as he grows. Thanks for the link - between my husband and I we may be able to get something put together before too long!

Thanks again!
Jennifer