Redtailboa.net  

Go Back   Redtailboa.net > SNAKES > Boas

Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 PM
I am an RTB Addict !

Re: Suriname Breeders

Tom a whole room full of your cages would look very nice.Baby and subadult racks and work table and storage that would all match,man that would look sweet.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
Tom a whole room full of your cages would look very nice.Baby and subadult racks and work table and storage that would all match,man that would look sweet.
I was thinking the same thing! Very nice cages Tom! Didn't realize you built them.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Boas Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabsleeved View Post
Yep someday I hope to have all that for myself to with a matching desk for my computer for when I am on RTB. LOL

Take care
Tom

http://www.mccarthyboas.com
* The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morning.*

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Regular RTB User

Very nice cages indeed!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:27 AM
Regular RTB User

I have kept snakes for 30 + years now. The last few years have all been rescues off Vraigslist. You would not believe the stuff I have seen. It's always the same story, I wasn't wanting a snake, but it was so small and cute I couldn't resist. Now when it gets 4 foot long and isn't in the " cute phase" they neglect it and eventaully just want someone to take it away. I have always wanted a BCC, either a Guyana or Suriname, they are very close on appearence values. Check out JB at Deviant Constrictors, he has some of the most beautiful boas that I have ever seen. He didn't have one that I could afford, lol!!!! He has a beauty for a grand, I almost charged it, it is a gorgeous boa. JB put me in touch with Orlando at Legacy. I told Orlando what I was looking for and my budget. I didn't think I could afford his snakes, but I am so glad that I sent him the email. He sent me the one I wanted and gave me a awesome deal. He just took his first meal tonight with zero issues. I can't wait for her to color up even more. Good Luck
Old 11-02-2011, 03:05 AM
Regular RTB User

There are quite a few very reputable breeders of Surinamese BCC. Many have been listed here.
If you want MORE options, consider Guyanese BCC too. Many people feel like they're the more beautiful of the two... like me! But... I'm biased! lol
jb
Old 11-02-2011, 03:11 AM
Regular RTB User

Maaaybee someone can post PICS of some Guyana Bcc!! sway me please! Lol
Old 11-02-2011, 03:17 AM
I am an RTB Addict !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoidaeObsession View Post
Do a search at reptile insider.com jonathon and amer (psycho-Peaks) are a few of the best around.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:18 AM
i never start trouble

The pictures of toms cages really don't do them justice they are very very nice
IS TO BE RESPONSIBLE KEEPERS
Old 11-02-2011, 03:51 AM
RTB Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoidaeObsession View Post
You should check out this page.
Boa c. constrictor French Guyana | Stöckl - Die Nr.1 Boa constrictor Seite im Internet

Here is my male.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:06 AM
Regular RTB User

Very nice.....looks to be darker overall than the suri's.....i do like that. But i cant get over the suri's red tail with that amazing white color and the contrast betwee them. Very nice. Besides looks what makes the do the Guyanas have over the Surinames?
Old 11-02-2011, 04:13 AM
RTB Aficionado

"What is the difference between Suriname redtails and Guyana redtail boas? This is a question that we are frequently asked by people. The answer is: There is NO difference.
Suriname was a Dutch colony until 1975. Its former name was "Dutch Guyana". Surinam is situated between Guyana (the former British Guyana) and French Guyana. Due to this tight connection it would be heedless to subsume a Boa c. constrictor as "Surinam redtail" or "Guyana redtail" only from its appearance without knowing the location where it (or the ancestors) came from."
Old 11-02-2011, 04:58 AM
Regular RTB User

Here are a few of my Guyanese BCC...

You can see others here: Deviant Constrictors | The Collection At Deviant Constrictors!
They're all Guyanese except the morphs and the dog
jb
Old 11-02-2011, 05:01 AM
Regular RTB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
"What is the difference between Suriname redtails and Guyana redtail boas? This is a question that we are frequently asked by people. The answer is: There is NO difference.
Suriname was a Dutch colony until 1975. Its former name was "Dutch Guyana". Surinam is situated between Guyana (the former British Guyana) and French Guyana. Due to this tight connection it would be heedless to subsume a Boa c. constrictor as "Surinam redtail" or "Guyana redtail" only from its appearance without knowing the location where it (or the ancestors) came from."
The person you snagged that quote from may present himself as an authority, but he's not. Sorry... I just can't respect a guy's opinion when he can't even write a book without blatantly plagiarizing an entire chapter out of one of his own friends books!

jb
Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Newbie to RedTailBoa.net

I agree with JB...to say that there is "no difference" between the two is a bit ridiculous. There are, of course, Guyana locale snakes that appear "Suriname" in origin, and vice versa. From what I have observed, it often depends on exactly where in each respective country the snake comes from.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Regular RTB User

To suggest that there is no difference between Surinamese BCC and Guyanese BCC is to suggest that the concept of "locality boas" is incorrect.

If we define "locality" as a specific population of boas (for example, Pokigron, Suriname or Essequibo River Delta, Guyana or Belem, Brazil) and we begin to compare boas from one locality to another, there is certainly a group of traits that emerge from each group.

It's also logical to say that because these groups are not ENTIRELY isolated (in the case of BCC), that some blending of traits occurs with neighboring populations. But, these specific traits found within localities dissipate the further away from the locality a person goes.

For instance, let's compare Essequibo River Delta Guyanese BCC to Pokigron Surinamese BCC. Putting two of these animals side by side shows OBVIOUS and striking differences! Yes, they're both BCC, but one could NEVER be mistaken for the other. The Essequibo River Delta is approximately 120 miles West of the coastal Guyana/Suriname border where (as the word "Delta" suggests) the Essequibo River dumps into the ocean. Pokigron, Suriname is about 100 miles south of the ocean and 120 miles East of the same coastal Guyana/Suriname border I mentioned earlier.

Suffice it to say, these two populations are several hundred miles apart. These physical appearances (adaptations) that make each of these populations successful in their microhabitats are different. The unique appearances/traits of the Pokigron animals may expand out (much like a bell curve) for 20... 30... maybe even 100 miles. Who knows? We simply don't have enough experience/specimens yet to know with any certainty. Likewise, the unique appearances/traits of the Essequibo River Delta Guyanese boas may expand out over a certain distance as well. Perhaps, there's even a locality of boas along the Suriname/Guyana border that have a few traits of each of these localities yet appear similar to neither due to their unique combination of traits.

So, yes. BCC from Suriname and Guyana will share similar appearances (afterall, they are all BCC and they do share a border) but they also are unique enough to be different from one another - visually. By this same concept, populations WITHIN the same country will look unique and different from one another as well. And that's where the whole concept of "locality" comes in.

Again, a "locality" boa is one which can be traced back to a specific place within a country. A boa that is simply labeled by it's country of origin (for instance, a "Suriname" or a "Guyana") that is CBB (especially multi-generational CBB) will have a very generic look if it has not been produced from locality parents.

To further add credence to what I'm saying, let's (very briefly) explore some other boas.

Peruvians - Pucallpa and Iquitos. Those are very different appearing Peruvians.

Panamanians vs Costa Ricans - those are VERY different appearing BCI's, but they share a border. From south to north, it goes Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua. The political border between Panama/Costa Rica and Costa Rica/Nicaragua is closer together than the Essequibo River Delta is to Pokigron, Suriname - but no one would argue that a Nicaraguan looks like a Panamanian.

The problem that Suriname and Guyana BCC face is this history of this industry. For MANY years, importers would sort shipments from both countries into two piles. The "ugly" pile and the "pretty" pile. The animals that were pretty were sold as Surinames for a premium. The animals that were ugly were sold as Guyanas at a discount. This practice occurred even when an importer ONLY received boas from one country or the other. They'd get a shipment from Guyana with LOTS of BEAUTIFUL boas, but then they'd turn around and sell them as Surinames. Likewise, an importer who only imports from Suriname would get plenty of not-so-attractive boas and would sell them as Guyanas.

So, this has turned into a CLUSTER!!! Many people truly do not know what a Guyana boa looks like, or a Suriname boa looks like. Because for many years, each was sold as the other and they've not blended together in our minds and become homogeneous. After that, private breeders would breed these animals together and produce offspring that were a blending of the traits and sell them (depending on the seller) as Guyana, Suriname, and some breeders sold them as both - just like the importers. So, John Q. Public has NO CLUE what these animals should look like. And many people who swear up and down that their boa is a "Suriname" really have a Guyana, or a Suriname x Guyana.

So now the "test" comes. Can someone, such as myself, who claims that they're different, pick out a Surinamese from a Guyanese? Honestly, if you set 100 boas in front of me, 50 from one country and 50 from another - I'd probably get just as many right as someone else. Maybe not. The problem is, I've been influenced over the last decade just like everyone else in this hobby has. My perception has been changed by looking at boas from both countries labeled as the other as well as babies that are the result of crossing the two countries.

But I will say this, there are a handful of guys who are absolutely in LOVE with Guyanese BCC and all of us say the same thing. Whenever we see a boa that we just HAVE TO HAVE, it's always a Guyanese BCC - even before we KNOW it's a Guyanese BCC. We're just drawn to the characteristics the Guyanese have. They tend to have contrast, markings, and color that appeal more to us. That's not to say we don't like Surinamese BCC - we absolutely do. But, we don't have them in our collections because we simply don't see any of them that are "must haves" (for our taste).

The above post is what I wanted to post last night, but it was MUCH to close to time for me to go to sleep, so it got put off until this morning

jb
Old 11-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Regular RTB User

So i emailed Rio Bravo to join thier mailing list. Got a reply today saying that they are having issues with the emailing funtion or something like that. He said ill be added when its fixed. And he also told me he has no Surinames right now. I also inquired about Argentines as they are my second favorite species, i which he has none of right now either. He did say he should have some by the end of the year
Old 11-02-2011, 01:42 PM
RTB Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Brady View Post
Here are a few of my Guyanese BCC...

You can see others here: Deviant Constrictors | The Collection At Deviant Constrictors!
They're all Guyanese except the morphs and the dog
jb
I just have to say: WOWW!! Gorgeous GORGEOUS Guyanas!! Love the high red/pink one the most. Would DIE to get my hands on one like that - very jealous!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Regular RTB User

A lot of great responses and suggestions in this thread as well as a super post by JB regarding Bcc localities!

Excellent post JB (Jonathan Brady for those that don't know)!!!

As mentioned early by Antiquity, Dub, and a couple others there was a thread just a couple weeks ago addressing purchasing a boa at a show as opposed to ordering one and having it shipped to you. The focus was being able to handle the boa at a show so you might get a feeling for its general attitude. Since the points were already brought up again and you seem to understand them well I won't reiterate those points. But you might want to take a look at that thread as it really went into the pros and cons of purchasing at a show.
http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/boa...where-buy.html

You also might want to take into consideration that March isn't the best time to purchase juvenile Bcc. The pickings by then will be pretty slim. If you aren't in the position to purchase one now then I would hold off a few more months after March when breeders start having their Boa litters. Keep in contact with some of the names that have been mentioned in this thread and watch the forums as some of the breeders will post their pairings and gravid females. Then you are much more likely going to find something that really blows your skirt up.
If you were going to wait until March anyway, what's a few more months on an animal that you are going to have for a couple decades.

By then you will be familiar with even more quality breeders and what they might be producing this coming season.

A few more names you can add to the list already supplied in this thread are-

Dan Mulleary of DM Exotics DM Exotics
Amer Baghdadi of Florida Redtails FloridaRedtail.com | Suriname & North Brazilian Boa Constrictors
Although Dan has sent out most of his Bcc breeding stock to Amer as explained on his website he will still be a contact regarding sales of babies when they become available.

Mike Weitzman of Basically boas Home

Richard Ceniceros - bcc
I know Richard has some killer animals from exceptional bloodlines for sale at the moment.

Joel Thomas - Joel doesn't have a website as far as I know but he usually places ads on ReptileInsider and Kingsnake. He has a couple ads up right now not sure if he has any Surinams available at the moment or Peruvians.

William Frye- username on this forum is Gottabsleeved, produces killer Suriname Bcc.

Again the names already mentioned are top notch just wanted to add a few to the list.

As for cages there all pretty good and since you'll be getting your cage ahead of time (good thinking) the lead time to get the cage won't matter so much.
But I would start out with a smaller cage if you intend on purchasing a juvenile and as the snake matures move into a larger cage. Sorry if that was your plan already I just felt I should say it anyway.

Good luck finding that perfect Suri and when you do make sure you post a bunch of photos!!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Regular RTB User

A lot of great responses and suggestions in this thread as well as a super post by JB regarding Bcc localities!

Excellent post JB (Jonathan Brady for those that don't know)!!!

As mentioned early by Antiquity, Dub, and a couple others there was a thread just a couple weeks ago addressing purchasing a boa at a show as opposed to ordering one and having it shipped to you. The focus was being able to handle the boa at a show so you might get a feeling for its general attitude. Since the points were already brought up again and you seem to understand them well I won't reiterate those points. But you might want to take a look at that thread as it really went into the pros and cons of purchasing at a show.
http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/boa...where-buy.html

You also might want to take into consideration that March isn't the best time to purchase juvenile Bcc. The pickings by then will be pretty slim. If you aren't in the position to purchase one now then I would hold off a few more months after March when breeders start having their Boa litters. Keep in contact with some of the names that have been mentioned in this thread and watch the forums as some of the breeders will post their pairings and gravid females. Then you are much more likely going to find something that really blows your skirt up.
If you were going to wait until March anyway, what's a few more months on an animal that you are going to have for a couple decades.

By then you will be familiar with even more quality breeders and what they might be producing this coming season.

A few more names you can add to the list already supplied in this thread are-

Dan Mulleary of DM Exotics DM Exotics
Amer Baghdadi of Florida Redtails FloridaRedtail.com | Suriname & North Brazilian Boa Constrictors
Although Dan has sent out most of his Bcc breeding stock to Amer as explained on his website he will still be a contact regarding sales of babies when they become available.

Mike Weitzman of Basically boas Home

Richard Ceniceros - bcc
I know Richard has some killer animals from exceptional bloodlines for sale at the moment.

Joel Thomas - Joel doesn't have a website as far as I know but he usually places ads on ReptileInsider and Kingsnake. He has a couple ads up right now not sure if he has any Surinams available at the moment or Peruvians.

William Frye- username on this forum is Gottabsleeved, produces killer Suriname Bcc.

Again the names already mentioned are top notch just wanted to add a few to the list.

As for cages there all pretty good and since you'll be getting your cage ahead of time (good thinking) the lead time to get the cage won't matter so much.
But I would start out with a smaller cage if you intend on purchasing a juvenile and as the snake matures move into a larger cage. Sorry if that was your plan already I just felt I should say it anyway.

Good luck finding that perfect Suri and when you do make sure you post a bunch of photos!!